This year I have tried to offer more play-based learning in my classroom as a better way of meeting the developmental needs of the tamariki in my class. Through my observations from terms three and four last year it became clearly obvious that as Primary teachers there is an expectation on us to be pushing tamariki to do things that they are not developmentally ready or capable of doing. I have seen the pressure and stress that this places on them and so have tried to work on different strategies to better support the tamariki in my care. I am particularly concerned about the expectations placed on them regarding writing and the outcomes that are expected of them.
I have struggled with the pressure of knowing what my tamariki are ready for compared to what is expected of them and trying to justify the reasons I feel the way I do. I have attended a course on play-based learning and visited two schools offering play-based programmes and this has helped to strengthen my desire to follow my heart and do what I feel is right.
I have slowly been introducing more play-based activities throughout the year, encouraging pre-reading and writing activities through many different ways and focusing on activities that encourage oral language. I have taken on board what I learnt at Longford Education's course about how if you want play-based to be sustainable and authentic it needs to be introduced slowly.
I have noticed tamariki are now more engaged in their learning, with a focus on less formal learning and more small group, child lead activities and also seeking out interests that come from the children and extending them.
I have also been committed to trying to spend more time outside, encouraging tamariki to develop gross motor skills, teamwork and using their imagination. I have set up a water area just out from our classroom where tamariki can poor, mix, measure and create, this has been really popular. We also often put a tent up where tamariki can read to buddies, have quiet time or pretend they are camping. We have also been spending time getting to know our wider community by doing a number of local walks and meeting people who work in our community. We also spend time exploring our community garden.
Through these experiences I believe tamariki are developing many of the skills required in all curriculum areas, they are more willing to attempt new challenges when writing if they have genuine experiences to write about. Our class is calm and tamariki are engaged in learning without the underlying pressure to get things done within certain time frames. We are flexible and tamariki are able to learn at their own pace.
I have also had positive feedback from Lois who said that the tamariki who moved up to her class at the start of term four were coping so well and were well prepared for learning in her class, with great literacy skills.
To me this feedback tells me I am on the right track and I hope to continue to build upon my current play-based learning next year. I would like to focus more on child led learning, get a sandpit build and work more closely with Aimee now she is moving into room 2.