Visit to Pokeno School
Today I went to visit Pokeno School to visit one of their New Entrant classes. I was really interested to see how they do their Yolanda Soryl program but sadly we had to leave before they did it. I found it really interesting to see how their morning routine progressed and how their writing program worked. I gained some ideas that I could bring back to my class, ideas around introducing a writing topic to the group and how to draw ideas from tamariki.
I discovered that they have a writing goal at the back of their writing books and they regularly revisit these. I am going to try this in my class but put it at the front of their books so their goals become visible to them. I will develop a format and two forms one to start with and then working towards the next.
I have wondered if I could also make one of these for math and reading also. I will see how well I get on with the writing one.
I have been continuing to struggle with my planning, it was great to have the opportunity to see Karen's planning and what works for her. I was able to pull some ideas from her planning that I look forward to seeing how they may work for me.
Update:
I have created my own versions for tamariki goals to put in their math and writing books. Tamariki have enjoyed looking at their goals and receiving a sticker to place beside a goal when they reach it. We revisit the goals that they are working on at the start of each session so they know what they are working towards.