Today I went to the Yolanda Soryl course on how to teach Phonics. I found this course full of tips that I know will become useful teaching tools in my everyday practice. I really liked the way she linked tasks with actions which are similar to what I am doing currently with my shape words. This technique has a great success rate with children often seen using actions to words they are learning throughout the day. I am going to use Yolandas youtube videos as a follow up to this course as the day was so fast-paced that at times it was challenging to take in. I think it will also be helpful for Angela and I to watch them together so she will be able to understand what we will be teaching nga tamariki. Aimee has also kindly ordered some of Yolanda's resources and we hope to have them for the start of term two. Today I was able to put into practice one of the activities Youlanda had demonstrated using individual whiteboards and nga tamariki responded really positively to it.
Update:
Yolanda's programme has become second nature in Room One now, we all know the routine and it runs smoothly each morning. I have noticed that tamariki have a much stronger sound and letter knowledge since starting the programme and we are getting through the letters much more quickly and are able to also revisit them. I have also noticed a greater improvement in tamariki using their letter knowledge throughout the day whether it's through their zone work or story writing or during their play-based learning, their letter and sound knowledge is now evident everywhere.