Thursday, 3 November 2016

I have been really struggling with my pronunciation of our new karakia to start the day. This was even more evident when it was my turn to lead it this week, I got so nervous about thinking that I was going to make a mistake that it all turned to custard and came out all wrong. I felt terrible as I really want to be a great role model to our tamariki and kept thinking that if they hear the words pronounced the wrong way that its how they will learn it, I felt so awful all day about this experience and it was a real knock to my confidence.
I decided I had to get help and approached Kohine's mum Karleen asking for some support with my pronunciation, she was there for the mat time a few days previously and knew just what had happened. She was so supportive and said it was great that I was even trying and showed me on my Ipad two sights that had the karakia, one was the waiata version and the other had the words and a button to push to hear it spoken. What a fantastic help this was to me, I have been taking my Ipad home and playing both versions and practicing them and are already feeling better having reached out to Karleen. She also suggested we teach the children this karakia through waiata, that it may be easier for them to learn it this way. When I am next on mat time I will try and introduce it this way.