Monday, 12 September 2016
Hannah and the Atua
Today I supported Hannah with her interest in the Atua, she is very familiar with them as I speak about them with any opportunity I get, referring to them both at kindergarten and Nature Discovery. I could see that she has a developing interest in them but just needed some help with remembering their names. I made sure that I modeled correct pronunciation and linked each Atua to their guardianship. By doing this I was able to support Hannah's learning and desire to deepen her understanding. Through Hannah's interest I was also able to support the other children who joined the activity, encouraging them to share knowledge with one another.
Once I posted her story on story park it was really great to see this morning that her mum had posted a lovely comment about Hannah and this emerging interest. I was able to reply and say that I had noticed similar attributes in Hannah and how she is developing some wonderful nurturing skills and is showing a new awareness of other peoples feelings. Her mum said how much she enjoyed reading about how Hannah has been encouraged to learn about Maori methodology and culture and our commitment to biculturalisum.
I will continue to support Hannah's emerging interest in the Atua and support her developing skills in her artistic creations by helping her to look for detail in her art work by offering ideas and questions about looking deeper at her chosen subjects.
click to view story