This week has been extremely stressful working with James and there have been a number of factors that have contributed to this.
- James has tendencies to hurt other tamariki in our class, often I cannot work out what has led to these incidents and often they seem totally unprovoked. I have worked hard since moving into primary teaching to create a calm and peaceful learning environment where tamariki can come and know that this is their special place, a place that is safe and caring and they know where they are loved. This to me is one of the most important aspects of my pedagogy. So I have really struggled these past two weeks seeing tamariki getting hurt, seeing how bewildered and upset they are when they don't know why James has hurt them. I have struggled to justify to them as to why the event has happened and have found it distressing as often the hitting is quite hard and to the face.
_ James is still toilet training and often won't co-operate to visit the toilet, resulting in accidents.
- James doesn't return after morning tea and lunch breaks. I did put on the white board a photo of James introducing him to the rest of the teachers asking that they please help him get back to class but it hasnt happened very often. James has also gone missing after the bell at 9.00.
- Our teacher aid situation has changed drastically this term. I have gone from having the support of a teacher aid two days per week to having none. James' support worker is Rebecca, she is great with him but has been away sick this week. Although I had replacements this confused James and his behaviour escalated and by Thursday and Friday the situation in class was almost unteachable and the new teacher aid who started on Thursday was questioning if the job was right for her.
I am trying my best to support James, but feel that at present I'm not doing anyone in my class justice. I am acutely aware of my eight year one students who need extending. And also to the rest of the tamariki who have just started and are still settling into routines. I feel really torn as I am so often having to be pulled away from teaching to address issues that arise with James and by the time I get back to where I was working the teachable moment is lost.
On Friday I had a meeting with Bathsheba, Tina and Aimee. I said that I wasn't coping and that I feel extremely stressed and that my mental wellbeing is not good. That my mind is consumed by James, trying to work out a solution of how I can better support him. They asked what I thought a solution might be but I felt so overwhelmed that I couldn't even think straight and became upset. Bathsheba suggested I take the weekend to think things over and we would catch up next week.
28.2.19
Today Suzanne from Parkside came and spent time in Ruma Tahi even though James was away. She has been really supportive and offers suggestions and ideas to try and help me. I do however find it really difficult to have discussions about James while I am teaching. I was trying to work with tamariki who were working in their zones and in the end I had to stop as I couldn't support nga tamariki and talk to Suzanne at the same time. Next time she visits I'm going to ask Suzanne if we can have any discussions regarding James during break time so that I can concentrate fully on either my tamariki or the professional discussion and not juggle both.
5.3.19
Aimee told me last night via text that as from today James will be moving out of my class and into Ruma Rua. Later in the day when I asked Aimee how James Mum is feeling about this change she said she was fine about it and that she requested the move into either the Whare or Ruma Rua. I felt slightly left out of this process but feel it is for the best and I can now focus on my teaching rather than behaviour management.