Reading advice from Mandie
I have been wondering about my reading group techniques for some time now so asked if Mandie could come and model what she does with one of my reading groups.
Mandie came this morning and demonstrated how she takes a reading group. Mandie gave me some great tips and pointers. No one had told me to stop finger pointing once chn have 1:1 sorted so this was great to find out. Mandie suggested I get chn to keep their hands under the table while they read and tell chn to read with just their eyes.
I liked how Mandie started the session with the alphabet cards and asked chn if they could spell a certain word on the whiteboard, they were allowed a quick look then Mandie covered the word with her finger. Chn responded really well to this technique and were excited with the new challenge and I could see the benefits of it straight away. I think I will use shape words for this activity, and use a list relevant to the group.
Mandie then went through the reader with chn turning the pages of their book as she went through each page, pointing out words, discussing the story and text so they were familiar before they started reading.
Once they started reading Mandie and chn read together, Mandie asking different chn to read a page every now and again but mostly together. If there was a word they didn't know Mandie would write the first letter on the whiteboard and ask chn the sound if they couldn't get the word she would do the next letter and so forth.
I found this visit so helpful and supportive, Mandie gave me great feedback on chn and also demonstrated a running record for me. I wish I had Mandie's help when I first started, I feel I have been really doubting myself and have been worried I wasn't doing my chn justice which has been stressful. Mandie told me that the chn in the group that worked with her are all where they should be for reading ability and will be moving up a level soon. This was really reassuring to hear. Im feeling much better now and have a clear direction to take and new techniques to try. Next term Mandie said she can visit again and this time I have asked her to model writing, Im looking forward to it already!
Reading update
I have trialled Mandie's reading techniques for a week now and can really see how well they are going to work. I have noticed in this short time an improvement in fluency by keeping hands under the table. Children are also really enjoying using the whiteboards to spell out words.
19.9.18