Monday, 20 November 2017

I have introduced zones to our tamariki as a way of them strengthening their knowledge on the shape words. I was able to talk to Katrina and with her support, I could see how this could work for our class. At first, I found the idea overwhelming and couldn't think of how I could implement it so it is meaning full to my class, I knew there was no point in just copying Katrina's exact ideas that somehow I had to adapt it for the best outcomes in my class.

I decided to not do the block plan of where tamariki went and when as I found it too daunting, instead I decided to introduce five stations that were represented by a colour and at each station there would be two activities. I began gathering and making activities so that there were enough for all the stations and also surplus so that I could introduce new activities each day to keep the tamariki interested. I will review this implementation once our tamariki have become familiar with the routines and the games to see whether it is working and any changes I need to make.

Update:
Zones have been working well for three terms now, tamariki are engaged in learning and look forward to discovering what activities are available in the zones each morning. I have been constantly sourcing new activities to keep the zones interesting and fresh. The zones have offered many opportunities for peer teaching and tamariki sharing their knowledge with tamariki that are new or less abled. This has been really empowering. I was trying to run our reading groups while the zones were in rotation but found it was too difficult to keep some tamariki on task as well as listening to reading groups. So we now do reading straight after morning tea and during rotations myself and my teacher aid sit with a zone each and work with them. This has worked out really well with all groups working with an adult for one math and one literacy activity each day.