Monday, 15 May 2017

Joschua’s self portrait 

Joschua this morning at the start of mat time you were a little upset, so I took you out onto the deck and sat with you on the couch and explained that in order to help you, you needed to take some big breaths and try and stop crying so I could understand what you were saying. So together we started doing Tanemahuta breathing, taking big breaths in and big breaths out. Joschua I have discovered that this technique really helps you to refocus and bring a sense of calm and you are able to regain a sense of composure quite quickly. Joschua you were then able to tell me that you were upset because your Mum had left and that you wanted to do a picture but didn’t know where to find the paper. Joschua I explained that this was a problem easily fixed and that after mat time I could help you to look for the equipment you needed to create a picture, I also mentioned that it’s a good idea to come and talk to one of the teachers before you get upset so we can help solve the problem together. I could see that this reassurance made you feel much better and you were happy to return to the mat with me. Joschua after mat time I came and found you and suggested you might like to come and do your picture out on the deck where I was working with a small group of children who were creating self-portraits using some new pallet paints and the mirror. Joschua you were happy to join the group and began looking at yourself in the mirror as you were doing this I challenged you to look for details that you could incorporate into your picture, looking at eye brows, eye lashes and ears. Joschua you got straight to work creating an amazing picture full of detail with the vivid pen, every now and again checking your reflection in the mirror. Once it was time to paint I was delighted to see just how precise your painting was, taking great care to only colour certain areas and again checking your reflection, telling me that you needed orange for your shirt, that you were wearing a jacket today that needed to be black and that your eyes are blue. Joschua once you were happy with the end product I reminded you that it is really important to name your work to which you replied, you needed to go and get your name pebble. Joschua I love the way that you incorporate your creativity into your name by drawing a little happy face in the letter ‘O’, it always makes me smile whenever I see it. Keep up the great work Joschua I look forward to seeing your next creation. Written for Joschua by Cassandra, 10 May 2017