Saturday, 8 April 2017

Today the teaching team from Pukekohe Kindergarten visited us to see our Enviroschools in action. It was a great opportunity to share my knowledge and expertise in this area. I always enjoy either visiting other teams or having them visit us as it gives me the opportunity to korero about different aspects of my teaching practice. I was able to give advice on the worm farm techniques we use as one of the teachers is struggling getting theirs working. I think it was valuable to the other team to here how when we started Enviroschools that we approached it very slowly and made sure each new idea was well implemented before introducing our tamariki to the next. I feel that it is this approach that has given us such great success and is what has embedded Enviroschools so thoroughly into our practice. It was also interesting to hear the other team speaking about up grading all their furniture so it reflects a more natural environment, although this would be visually appealing I think that purhaps they are slightly missing the essence of what Enviroshools is about, it is about reducing and reusing, not adding to our waste full society. I like to think that if its broken try and fix it first so suggested maybe updating the table tops as the underneath are still fine. I think these types of visits help me to think more deeply about my teaching practice and why I am passionate about the things that are important to me and the tamariki that I teach.