As part of our annual duck race we have decided to have a blessing to open the event where we have asked tamariki to join us in singing a waiata. Today Tawera asked his Nanny to come early to our end mat so that she could hear the waiata we would be singing so that they could practice it at home. Megan mentioned all this to me as she was walking out the door, she had missed mat time but wanted to support Tawera. I wasnt sure which waiata we had decided on so said I would get back to her. As I was the mat time teacher I waited till all the children had left then phoned Megan to say that we would be singing Te Aroha, Megan was pleased and agreed that this would be a great opening Waiata and that she would help Tawera practice it at home with his extended whanau. I also think by promptly getting back to Megan it showed her that Tawera's interest in learning this waiata is important to me and that I value the relationship I have built with his extended whanau.
I feel this experience was a great example of whanaungatanga within our kindergarten environment.