Sunday, 16 October 2016

Today Hannah was exploring the kinetic sand which I had set up with small sticks to encourage letter exploration. Hannah decided she wanted to write her name in the sand, some of the letters were getting a bit mixed up and the formation wasn't quite right so I went and got our letter land sheet on how to form the correct letters. I talked Hannah through each letter noticing a great difference from her first attempt, she really responded to the names the letters are given Harry hat man for H and so on. Toni had noticed what we were doing and came and joined in, Hannah began exploring the letters with the characters she liked in particular the Z (zebra) and M(munching mike) Hannah is really interested in anything to do with horses. With my support this activity allowed Hannah and Toni to support each other in their learning, sharing knowledge and problem solving together. There were many discussions between the girls about letter formation and the names of the characters, they were able to refer to the letter land sheet for guidance and support. By providing this sheet I was able to support and extend Hannah's interest in letter formation in a supportive environment she also discovered her interest was share by her friend Toni.