Tuesday, 18 October 2016

After brain storming our next steps at the conference it was exciting to get back to kindergarten and begin implementing some of them being aware that small steps are important for sustainability. The new mat time routines gives our mat times a more holistic approach and is reflecting a greater commitment to tikanga. by sitting in a circle we are all able to see one another which makes the experience more meaning full. Starting the day with our welcome karakia feels right and lighting the candle embraces the day ahead. Our tamariki have responded positively to these new changes.
At the end mat time I have thought for quite sometime that it was lacking as far as ending the day by just sending the tamariki off the mat so this week in consultation with the team I introduced our ka kite song which we sung in a standing up circle. the tamariki responded really well to this and I felt it gave a nice closure to the day.

At Nature Discovery we have begun to use the word Mihi when talking about the Atua in our morning ritual and raising our arm and saying tena koe to them. As this is new the tamariki did seem a little taken back at first but we have now done this twice and they are beginning to come on board with it. I do still feel it would be nice to Mihi back at the kindergarten to the atua at the start of our kindergarten day but feel that this isnt possible at the moment as mat time has gone under quite a change and is risking getting a little long if we add anything else. I will look into fresh ways of making the atua visible and are looking forward to hearing back from Paparangi Kindergarten about their atua waiata.

I am excited about George coming next week to help us create our kindergarten pepeha.